10 design tips to make the most of your project
- The layout of your home or cottage should acknowledge natural light throughout the day - morning sun in your breakfast nook or your master bedroom, afternoon sun in your family room - whatever suits your preferences.
- A small pantry directly off your kitchen is extremely convenient and allows for fewer expensive kitchen cabinets.
- Your actual furnishings and their preferred / possible placement possibilities have to be part of your design process, not just something you work out later.
- Re-working existing spaces may allow for a more efficient layout without the need to add-on.
- Bigger isn't always better - comfort, charm and character are often sacrificed with spaciousness.
- Look at different possibilities - often a certain effect can be achieved less expensively while retaining the same appeal.
- For an addition not to look out-of-place, carefully consider how the rooflines will tie in with your existing roof.
- An open layout will have to be balanced with closed rooms for acoustical and visual privacy.
- Spaces will generally feel more open and pleasant when you have windows in more than just one wall.
- A small washroom near a side entry will permit easy access from your gardens or the lake.